Date Published: October 2014
Come along and join Bubba the Bottlenose dolphin as he makes a new buddy while sharing a day they won’t soon forget. Grade 1-2 Reading Level
Bubba is out on one of his undersea adventures when he finds a frightened Orca trapped by a fishing net! In this attention gripping yet comical tale, Bubba works with his buddy Sammy the Seagull to free Ollie. Come along and join Bubba the Bottlenose dolphin as he makes a new buddy while sharing a day they won’t soon forget.
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Ollie the Orca
1. Ollie the Orca received a 5 Star Seal in March 2015 from Readers’ Favorite. This is an awesome achievement!
2. The character of Ollie was created through daydreaming about Bubba’s new adventures.
3. The project took about one year to complete from rough draft to published book. The writing process included a rough draft, word evaluation for grade level, edited drafts, final copy, and book dedication. The illustration process included pencil sketches, edits to sketches, and colour illustrations. Then once the story and illustrations are completed book layout brings everything together and gets the book ready to print. After a proof is printed and everything looks great, you are finally ready to publish!
4. Did you know that the use of Smart Boards in elementary school classrooms is on the rise? This definitely had an impact on the decision to publish Ollie the Orca in e-book format in addition to paperback.
5. It is completely coincidental that the page count and publication month matches Bubba’s Balloon. When it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be! The two books fit so well together.
6. The author and illustrator are both Canadian.
7. The name Owen was also considered for the Orca character. Ollie was chosen because it fit best with the character’s personality.
8. The illustration of Ollie turned out exactly how the author had imagined him.
9. In the initial pencil sketch of Bubba and Ollie meeting with the net in between them, Bubba was accidentally positioned inside the net instead of Ollie! It was really funny and an easy fix!
10. Sammy the Seagull is the senex in the Bubba n’ Buddies stories. He is the wise older character that helps Bubba learn about himself and his surroundings in a safe and enlightening manner. Yoda and Gandalf are examples of famous senex.
About the Author
When Laura Maw was a child, her favorite activities were going to the ocean and picking out another stack of books from the library. She loved reading from a very young age and could never seem to satisfy her craving for another new adventure, another new imagination landscape. Writing is a passion that seemed to come naturally with her love of reading. She too wanted to be able to help someone through a bad day, or to have a unique and thrilling experience on a good day, through the written communication of a story. She has a very vivid imagination that often takes her on wondrous adventures in her dreams. In fact, the idea for Bubba’s Balloon came to her in the form of a very funny dream. She woke up laughing and felt that it was a story that must be shared with others. The character of Ollie was even developed through daydreaming about Bubba’s adventures.