Friday, February 5, 2016

What I Write




For those of you who don't know me, I am Adrienne Thompson, writer and independent publisher of 22 books and counting. I published my first book in July of 2011. My 23rd book will be released 2.16.16. I have been a full time writer since November of 2012.

I write stories about women (and a few men), African American women, flawed women, hurt women, broken women. Women society may see as undesirable and unlovable. Women who might not meet the mainstream world's standard of beauty, but who are beautiful to the men who love them. Yes, the women in my books find love, sometimes in the strangest places.

And the men that love them are usually handsome, sexy, fine. Because every woman deserves a fine man, doesn't she? Of course she does!

My books involve conflict, tragedy, hope, love, a little suspense, and from time to time, a little fantasy. Oh, and a heaping helping of reality.

No one is perfect, especially when it comes to my heroines.

Toni Morrison said, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” And that's exactly what I've done, time and time again. It's what I will continue to do.

God is always a major player in my books, because He is a major player in my life, always has been.

But my books probably couldn't be considered Christian Fiction per se, because my characters have sex--not explicit sex, but sex nonetheless. And they lie and cheat. And they have been known to curse a bit here and there.

My characters make mistakes, big ones. They think crazy stuff, say stupid things. Some are downright unlikable. Some of them are just not good people, and I think that's what I like most about them, because it makes them real.

Real.

And real people can be redeemed. That's the beauty of what I choose to write.

Like Mona-Lisa from Been So Long, whose life involves a different take on being the side chick.

Or Bobbie Brooks from Bluesday, who fights an addiction  she didn't even realize had a hold on her all while trying to piece her life back together.

Or Olivia Moy from See Me, who endures the unthinkable to protect her child.

Or Ivan from Home--one of the few man-centered stories I've written--who becomes the thing he hates most despite himself.

Or Carla in Better, who runs away from the one thing she needs.

Or Alex in Ain't Nobody, who makes a crazy decision that has a snowball effect she can't run from.

They are real.
They make mistakes.
...But they pay for them.

My books don't really fall into a known genre (If they did, I'd probably sell more books), so I kind of just place them where they almost fit. I write Edgy Inspirational African American/Multicultural Women's Romantic Fiction.

Yep, that's what i write... most of the time.

And there are some people out there that like it.

And I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment