Wednesday, November 29, 2017

#WriterWednesday with Author RJ Joseph

Today's author interview is with Author/Professor RJ Joseph. 
Let's get to know her!!




AT: Where do you live? What’s your town’s claim to fame?
RJJ: I live in Pearland, Texas. It’s a suburb of Houston, with a little over 100,000 residents. I think our main claim to fame is being a suburb of Houston.

AT: Cool. A new town to me. What genre do you write?
RJJ: I write horror, romance, dabble in erotica, and write academic papers about black femininity and the horror genre.

AT: Wow! Are you a published author or aspiring to be published? If published, how many books are out there with your name on them?
RJJ: I have a few publications to my name, mostly shorter or anthology works. All together, probably about 10 books with my name on or in them.

AT: Awesome! What inspires you to write?
RJJ: I learned a long time ago that I simply can’t not write. I have to do it. It’s literally who I am. Every time I have a thought-provoking dream, or eavesdrop on a conversation, or see or do anything, really, I’m constantly thinking, “What kind of story would this be?”

AT: Love it! Name one book you wish you’d written.
RJJ: Waiting to Exhale, by Terry McMillan. That book was a major gamechanger in African American literature and is still the frame many aspire to emulate.

AT: I totally agree! That book changed everything for black authors! What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
RJJ: The last book I read was Scissors by Ray Garton. I read it once, years ago, and recently re-read it. It was awesome. The imagery is vivid and I really appreciate the way Garton takes something that shouldn’t be a big deal and turns it into a whole horror novel.

AT: Oh, I gotta check that one out! Who is your favorite author? Why?
RJJ: My all-time favorite author is Beverly Jenkins. I’ve never read a book of hers that I didn’t love, love, love. She has a way with writing that entertains and teaches so seamlessly. I buy all her books as soon as they come out. I want to be her when I grow up.

AT: Lol, I think all of us romance writers want to be her when we grow up! Now for the fun questions! You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
RJJ: I’d be Super Sparkly Dark Rainbow Unicorn, because as dark-natured as I am, I also love sparkles and tend to be bubbly. They both co-exist in my personality.

AT: Now that would be an interesting color! What would your autobiography be called?
RJJ: She Shouldn’t Have Made It But She Was Fueled by Screw You Juice

AT: Ha! Too good! Do you believe in love at first sight?
RJJ: No. I think it takes time to see beneath the surface.

AT: I can see your point. If a genie granted you three wishes, what would they be? (can't ask for more wishes)
RJJ: 1. The world would become a more pleasant place for my children and future generations to live in, without racism, sexism, ableism, poverty, or blight 2. A huge house out in the country, without country critters, no repairs, and no tax or utility payments due, ever 
3. To be able to eat anything I want without gaining any weight

AT: Man, those are some good wishes! Are you spring, summer, fall, or winter?Please share why.
RJJ: Fall. Summer and winter are too full of extremes and spring is too energetic for my personality. I like the laid back quality of fall, when there’s a noticeable bite in the air, but the weather is still pleasant enough for just hanging out and taking time.

AT: Nice. Tea or coffee?
RJJ: That’s a tough one. I drink both, equitably.

AT: Gotcha. Tell us about your most recent/current project.
RJJ: I have a horror short story in a project I’m super proud of. Sycorax’s Daughters, by Cedar Grove Publishing, is the first anthology to include only horror stories by black women. Here’s an excerpt from my story, “To Give Her Whatsoever She May Ask”:


Sycorax's Daughters by [Imarisha, Walidah]


By my forty second birthday, it looked like my most passionate pleas would be ignored. I didn’t kneel so often by then. I was already the towns’ crazy old woman. I kept mostly to myself and only went to market and town when absolutely necessary. And I travelled to Mr. Frank’s cottage, down the hill, to work. Mrs. Frank had passed on five years ago, and now he was just waiting to join his wife in heaven.

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I suspected that there was no heaven; there was no God to answer prayers. I was tired of praying.

It was time to try something else.

I trudged down the hill to work, using the heavy stick I walked with to scout for snakes in the grass before they had a chance to strike. The sun had just settled beneath the horizon, and the island was dark. I wasn’t afraid, although the island folks didn’t need much prompting to discuss their jumbies and other evil night spirits. I knew not to stop for strangers, and not to approach strange animals. I had my trusty pocket flashlight to spot predators before they could attack.

What I had not been prepared for was the large ball of fire that slowly flew over my head. I saw brilliance and expected heat, but instead there was an icy chill in the wake of the ball. I turned to watch where it would go next, transfixed by the way my womb ached as it passed, and my heart called after it. The ball circled my torso several times. I could hear the coos of a baby, and longed to touch the softness of its skin. I reached out to it and was overwhelmed with dread. I drew my hand back and turned on my flashlight. The ball rose upwards and dissipated.

Buy Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Sycoraxs-Daughters-Kinitra-Brooks-PhD/dp/1941958443


AT: Oh, wow! How can readers connect with you?
RJJ: Twitter: @rjacksonjoseph
Facebook: facebook.com/rhonda.jacksonjoseph
Facebook official: fb.me/rhondajacksonjosephwriter
Instagram: @rjacksonjoseph
Blog: https://rjjoseph.wordpress.com/
Email: horrorblackademic@gmail.com
Amazon Author Page: amazon.com/author/rjjoseph
https://www.amazon.com/Rhonda-Jackson-Joseph/e/B008FVK13M

AT: Any final words?
RJJ: Thank you so much for the opportunity to talk with you! I enjoyed your questions and wish you a productive creative season.

AT: Same to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment