Wednesday, October 4, 2017

#WriterWednesday with Author Eartha Watts Hicks

Today's #WriterWednesday interview is with the lovely Eartha Watts Hicks. Let's get to know her!!




AT: Where do you live? What’s your town’s claim to fame?
EWH: I claim the Bronx, Harlem, and New York equally. Their claims to fame would be Yankee Stadium, The Apollo Theater, and Broadway/Times Square respectively.

AT: Okay, city girl, huh? What genre do you write?
EWH: I write women’s literary fiction, set in the inner-city, based on true-to-life everyday, urban professional characters.

AT: I love it!! Are you a published author or aspiring to be published? If published, how many books are out there with your name on them?
EWH: I independently publish myself and others (as a subcontractor). I have a stand-alone novel that has been serialized and Graffiti Mural, a collection of poetry and short fiction. I have edited several titles, participated in an anthology, and have fostered the process of several writers aspiring to self-publish.

AT: I love that you've helped others see their literary dreams become reality!! What inspires you to write?
EWH: Writing is my gift. I can write about anything, as that is the way I express my thoughts, dreams, wishes, concerns, and frustrations.  It is my hope that the information and stories I share can shed light, ease someone else’s discomfort, or provide them a little bit of joy for that while.

AT: We have similar goals :) Name one book you wish you’d written.
EWH: Joy by Marsha Hunt. This was the first women’s fiction drama that introduced an element of surprise. I read it decades ago but it is still among my favorites to this day.

AT: Oh, I've definitely got to check that on out! What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
EWH: I am currently reading I Can’t make this Up by Kevin Hart. It’s hilarious. The last book I completed was The Thirty Year Diet - The Journey of Me, Fat Girl and My FOPA by Robin Nutter, which is a memoir but more about the inner weight conversations we all have with ourselves. I enjoyed it.

AT: Sounds interesting! Who is your favorite author? Why?
EWH: To choose one, I would have to say Chris Abani, because his books are ingenious and completely out of the box.

AT: Oh, my! I've got to check him out for sure! Now for the fun questions! You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? 
EWH: Earthy. Friends say I’m earthy. And besides, Crayola brown was never exactly right.

AT: Love it! What would your autobiography be called?
EWH: How Many Miracles in Your Life Do You Need To See Before You Realize You’re Not Lucky.

AT: I'm feeling that title for sure! Do you believe in love at first sight?
EWH: Yes, but I also believe that trust must be earned…and does take time.

AT: I agree. If a genie granted you three wishes, what would they be? (can't ask for more wishes)
EWH: That would be perfect health, a beautiful and paid-for home, financial stability. As long as I have those three, am usually off running to champion a cause or two.

AT: Nice! Are you spring, summer, fall, or winter? Please share why.
EWH: Summer. I love warmer weather. I seriously injured my left hand in a kitchen accident a few years back. Colder weather makes me very uncomfortable.

AT: Tea or coffee?
EWH: Coffee.

AT: Tell us about your most recent/current project.
EWH: My latest project is Graffiti Mural. Graffiti Mural is a collection of poetry, personal essays, and flash fiction available on Amazon in paperback and on Kindle. To purchase, visit www.tinyurl.com/GraffitiMuralBook.






EXCERPT:
One late night, my cousin and I got dressed up and went to a night club that was known to be a celebrity hot spot. While we were there, all night, we were dancing and mingling with the famous and familiar. A well-known actor took a serious liking to my beautiful cousin. As a result, we were invited to the red-carpet movie premier and after party for, get this, THE BEST MAN.
We could not attend the movie premier, because she had to work, so we went straight to the after party. Very few had arrived early. So we sat on a sofa positioned behind a coffee table. On the other side of the table, was another sofa. Two young, chic, beautiful black women, much like ourselves approached and sat on that sofa. The way we looked, we could’ve all been part of the same girlfriend crew or even related.

I leaned over and said, “Hi!”

One of the young women looked at me and said, “Hi! Are you in the business?”

I smiled and said, “No.”

She grimaced, turned her whole body to the side, put up “the hand,” and ignored me, by engaging her friend in conversation, “Anyway! Blah, blah, blah, blah....”

My cousin and I looked at each other and shook our heads. When her actor friend entered the club, he found us. And, all night long and as if we were royalty, he graciously introduced us both (by name) to the entire cast of the movie and the who’s who of Black Hollywood.

After her gracious friend, stepped away to bring us drinks, the young woman I had spoken to NOW humbly asked, “Y’all know them?”

Now, as if on cue, my cousin and I both said, “Yeah! Anyway....” And those words were punctuated by the very same body language she had given us earlier. Rolling neck, pursed lips, talk-to-the-hand gesture and all.

We never saw that actor or his friends again, except for on television, but for me, that moment was as priceless as a MasterCard.

AT: How can readers connect with you?
EWH: I am all across social media.
Website: www.earthatone.com
Facebook Author Page: www.facebook.com/earthawattshicks.lovechanges 
Twitter: @earthatone
Instagram: @earthatone
Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/story/89454648-love-changes 
Blogspot: www.earthatone.blogspot.com 
Google+: https://plus.google.com/110909539549863459733 
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7183249.Eartha_Watts_Hicks 
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Eartha-Watts-Hicks/e/B00HZV7ODS/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1 

AT: Any final words?
EWH: Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my work with your audience.

AT: You are most welcome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment