Wednesday, September 27, 2017

#WriterWednesday with Author LaTonya Richardson

Today I'm chatting with children's author, LaTonya Richardson. Read her interview and get to know this ray of sunshine!



Photo by Deborah Horn


AT: Where do you live? What’s your town’s claim to fame?
LR: I live in Pine Bluff. My town's claim to fame is the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff... The Golden Lions.

AT: Okay, homegirl! Love me some Golden Lions!! What genre do you write?
LR: I write children's books.

AT: Nice! Are you a published author or aspiring to be published? If published, how many books are out there with your name on them?
LR: I am a published author of three books, only one being available mainstream. My first book, which I'm currently working on reproducing is 'Mama's Got Eyes In The Back of Her Head,' 'Lirocatchamella,' and my recent project 'Going On A Bear Hunt.' 

AT: You've been busy! What inspires you to write?
LR: My surroundings, and children inspire me to write. My grandson is my latest muse. He's curious, and very funny. Children see things differently, and their view of the world provides loads of fun ideas for telling stories. 

AT: That's so true! Name one book you wish you’d written.
LR: One book I wish I'd written... Ummm ... That's a difficult question, and I cannot come up with a really cool, or profound answer.

AT: Lol, no problem. What was the last book you read?
LR: The last book I read is 'Ante Up' by Christina C. Jones.

AT: Oh, I love her! Who is your favorite author? Why?
LR: My favorite author is J. California Cooper. She paints vivid pictures and is super funny.

AT: I'm a fan of her work, too. Now for the fun questions! You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
LR: If I were a new edition to the crayon box I'd be tangerine bliss. I'm vibrant, energetic, and just the right amount of POP!

AT: I hear you! Keep popping, lol. What would your autobiography be called?
LR: My autobiography would be called Don't Worry, Be Happy.

AT: Sounds like it would be a wonderful read! Do you believe in love at first sight?
LR: Of course I believe in love at first sight! I'm a hopeless romantic.

AT: Me too...me too (sigh). If a genie granted you three wishes, what would they be? (can't ask for more wishes)
LR: Three wishes... 1. I'd like to win the Coretta Scott King Award (I'm actually submitting this year), 2. Win the lottery, for sure! 3. Perfect vision. I have an eye disease that causes my sight to deteriorate.  I've had one cornea transplant, and will soon have another. You don't realize how precious your vision/sight is until it's jeopardized.

AT: Amen! So glad to see you persevering despite it all! Are you spring, summer, fall, or winter? Please share why.
LR: I'm Spring for sure! Spring is refreshing, alive, and bright, just like moi.

AT: Love it! Tea or coffee?
LR: Tea... Southern and syrupy sweet tea.

AT: Yesssss. Tell us about your most recent/current project.
LR: My latest project, 'Going On A Bear Hunt', is children's picture book about an adventure of two young city boys who are bored with county living. They hunt for bear with unconventional means. Amazon 


Image result for going on a bear hunt latonya richardson

EXCERPT: 

"Hey buds. Why such long faces?" Uncle Eddie Ray asked the boys.

"We're bored," Austin said.

"I've kicked the ball all over the yard," Aiden fussed. "And Austin has chased all the squirrels up the trees."

"We've both tried to count the ants marching up the hill in the backyard. Days ago we picked all the flowers off the bush right outside of the kitchen window.”

"I see your problem," Uncle Eddie Ray said. "You guys have done all there is to do in this neck of the woods. Except hunt for bear."


AT: How can readers connect with you?
LR: Readers can connect me www.larichmedia.com; Twitter, & Facebook: @LaRichMedia; Instagram: @LaRichMediaGroup; email latonya@larichmedia.com

AT: Any final words?
LR: I enjoy reading, and losing myself in a great story. And even more than reading, I enjoy writing a great story. For me writing is as necessary as eating and breathing.

AT: I feel you. I truly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment