Wednesday, January 17, 2018

#WriterWednesday with Author Darliss Batchelor

Today, Author Darliss Batchelor is in the spotlight!! Check her out!!



AT: Where do you live? What’s your town’s claim to fame?
DB: I live in Waterford, Michigan but I’m originally from Flint, Michigan which is the well-known for its place in the American auto industry history.

AT: Cool! What genre do you write?
DB: I write in the Christian and Women’s Fiction genres. However, I plan to tackle a romance in the near future.

AT: I'm definitely familiar with those genres. Are you a published author or aspiring to be published? If published, how many books are out there with your name on them?
DB: I’m a self-published author of four books. Secrets, Hell is a Skyscraper: A Trio of Novelettes, Something Else to Want (short story), and The Make-Believe Wives.

AT: I'll be adding those to my TBR! What inspires you to write?
DB: I don’t know if I’m inspired as much as I’m compelled to write. I don’t want it to sound as if it’s a bad thing. I love it. I see stories in everything around me. I hear characters speaking to me in the shower, riding down the highway and in the middle of the night. I have to entertain the conversation just to maintain sanity.

AT: I can definitely identify with all of that. Name one book you wish you’d written.
DB: The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil by Victoria Christopher-Murray.

AT: I've had that one on my list forever. Got to get to it. What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
DB: I just finished reading No Regrets by Patricia Haley-Glass. I love her work.  Her series involving the Mitchell family is one of my favorites.

AT: She's new to me. Thanks for sharing! Who is your favorite author? Why? DB: That’s a trick question. There are way too many authors I enjoy reading and new ones are coming out every day. However, I love some of the greats such as Victoria Christopher-Murray, ReShonda Tate-Billingsley and Kimberla Lawson-Roby. I also enjoy Melinda Michelle, Eva J. Brock and Chicki Brown. I love them all for different reasons.

AT: Great list! Now for the fun questions! You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
DB: Fuschia Crush because it’s a warm deep vibrant color.

AT: Love it! What would your autobiography be called?
DB: It would be called The Struggle to Be Me. I have spent much of my adult struggling to express my true self. Fear of what people will say or think often prevents me from doing so.

AT: So many people know exactly how that feels. Very relatable! Do you believe in love at first sight?
DB: I don’t believe in love at first sight. I believe strong attraction can happen at first sight, though. I think you have to get to know a person in order to fall in love with them.

AT: All right. If a genie granted you three wishes, what would they be? (can't ask for more wishes)
DB: Wish 1: The two nonprofit programs I want to start, Momma’s House and Book Buddies, would be fully-funded, staffed and operational.
Wish 2: Retire my husband if he desired.
Wish 3: Insure my son and grandson are set financially.

AT: Wonderful and selfless wishes! Are you spring, summer, fall, or winter? Please share why.
DB: I’m spring. Fresh, renewed and blooming with possibilities.

AT: Love that! Tea or coffee?
DB: Tea. I’ve never been a coffee drinker.

AT: Tell us about your most recent/current project.
DB: My newest release is “The Make-Believe Wives.”


Buy Links are:
Author Website Print: http://bit.ly/2syQE5p
Kindle: http://amzn.to/2uvChi2
Nook: http://bit.ly/2u1MUqP
     
Excerpt from “The Make-Believe Wives”:
Chapter 1

Janay slammed the glass into the bottom of the sink and watched it break into a million pieces. She chased it with two plates and a bowl that were within reach. No need to worry about washing those. Frightened by the noise, her baby girl screamed and she joined her. Unlike Naomi, Janay’s scream was from sheer frustration. She pulled herself together and went to gather her daughter from the adjoining family room. Naomi raised her arms as her mother approached and Janay picked her up. Once comforted, the toddler wiggled to get back to her playtime. Janay returned her to the center of the toys she had spread out over the family room floor and exhaled.

Her husband, Evan, had taken Nahla and Nia out for a daddy-daughter day. Naomi was too young for today’s activity. Janay returned to the kitchen and stared at the glass and ceramic gumbo in the sink. She picked up a few of the larger pieces of glass and sat them on the granite countertop, mentally adding resealing it to her already overloaded to-do list. She remembered literally vibrating with excitement when they bought this stone. Now, it brought tears.

Janay went to the bathroom to wash her face, hoping it would make her feel better. She pulled the plush fire engine red face towel from the bar and ran cold water over it. Looking in the mirror, she noticed the frustration etched in her face and the tent city that had formed below her eyes. These had become her constant companions. She patted the area with the cold towel and went back to the family room to check on Naomi. Her routine had gotten old.

***

Janay watched as Evan moved bowls and plates around in the cabinet, undoubtedly looking for something in particular. Next, he searched the dishwasher. “Hmph,” Evan said as he closed the door, looking at her with both hands on his waist, which usually meant he was stumped about something.

“Babe, do you know what happened to that blue bowl? I can’t find it.”

“Which one?” Janay asked trying to figure out the best way to tell him about his favorite cereal bowl’s fate.

“We only had one. It was deep blue.”

“It got broken. Accidentally. The other day,” she replied.

Evan stepped down into the room and sat next to his wife on the beige leather sofa. “Is everything okay?”

“Yes. Why?”

“A lot of dishes are getting broken lately. I wonder why.” He looked at her so intently it was clear he already knew the answer.

“You think so?” She tilted her head to the side.

“I keep finding broken dishes in the garbage. What’s going on?” Evan reached for her hand.

“I drop a dish or two from time to time. The ceramic floor is unforgiving.” She shrugged, “No big deal.”

“If it was more than that you would tell me, right?”

“Yes, you would be the first to know.”


AT: What's going on? I need more! How can readers connect with you?
DB: My website address is www.DarlissBatchelor.com.
My Facebook Author page is www.FaceBook.com/BooksByDarliss.
My Amazon Author Page is www.Amazon.com/Author/DarlissBatchelor

AT: Any final words?
DB: I’d like to thank you for this opportunity to share a little about me and “The Make-Believe Wives” here on Adrienne’s Avid Readers blog. I hope readers will take a look at my titles and find something that piques their interest. Blessings!

AT: Blessings to you, too!

1 comment:

  1. Darliss, thanks for the shoutout! Love the excerpt. I'm adding this to the TBR list on my Kindle. Wishing you mega-sales. :)

    ReplyDelete